Knowing how to choose the right business telephone system for your company can be a time-consuming task, but it’s an essential part of running a business. After all, you can’t get done everything you need through Slack, Google Chat, email, or texting. At some point, you and your customers need to pick up the phone to get business done.
What are some of the steps involved with selecting the right business telephone system for your company? Here are a few pointers:
- Consider your staffing needs, both now and in the future. How many employees do you have that will need phone lines? How might those needs change in the next couple of years, as you plan to expand? Make sure to consider employees who work remotely part of the time, as they may need access to their phone from home.
- Decide what types of features you need. Business telephone system features span a wide range, but here are just some of the features you may want to consider:
- A phone system that routes callers through a main number and then connects callers through specific extension numbers.
- Voice mail.
- Conference calling.
- Call forwarding.
- IVR Menu (Interactive Voice Response. Example: Press 1 for sales, press 2 for service.)
Different types of phone systems.
- A private branch exchange, or PBX, which is a system that allows users to switch calls between users on local lines (in other words, calls among those within the office). It also allows users to share external phone lines. These systems are generally on premise.
- A voice over internet protocol, or VOIP, which uses computer technology to connect calls. Endpoints can be a stand-alone phone unit, an app on your computer, or an app on your cellphone. These apps are known as “Softphones”. They will give you full access to your extension from wherever you are. These systems can be on premise, or cloud hosted dependent upon your needs.
By knowing which features you need, you’re in a stronger position to discuss those needs with companies that can provide them.
- Know your budget. This may seem obvious, but it doesn’t hurt to restate it. Don’t assume that you can’t get a good business phone system if money is a little tight. An experienced business phone system provider should be able to provide you with cost-efficient options.
- Review the pros and cons of your current business phone system. If you already are using a business phone system, give some thought to the pros and cons of that system. Discuss these pros and cons with other managers or staff members, as they may bring up points you hadn’t considered. This discussion can help you focus on your priorities for a new business phone system.
When you’re ready to work with a company experienced with business communication solutions, give Futra a call. We have many years of experience in the business telephone system area, including setting up phone systems of all types. We have options for business of all sizes and budgets. We have options that can save you money and make communication with customers crystal clear. Call us at 941-254-6900. Or, find us online at MyFutra.com.